Sunday, June 24, 2007

My Introduction

Let me begin by saying hello to everyone that was able to find this lowly little blog, especially when there are so many millions out here in Internet land to choose from in the first place. With all the blogs that people publish everyday it is hard to decide which ones we really want to read. With that said, I want to express my thanks to anyone that does take the time out to read my blog. I encourage each of you to take a few minutes of your time to comment on what I have to say. By doing this, it will allow me better to understand what people think of my amazingly crazy thoughts (or at least some have told me). Also, by doing so, it will help me decide on what to write about next. Who knows, it may even get a discussion started, which would be really great in my opinion.

Now, let’s get to it. I really don't have anything in particular to write about today, but there are a few little things that I would like to point out. As one may have noticed by looking at the sites that I visit, it is very evident that I like science. However, it isn't just any kind of science that grabs my attention so strongly that I think that I am going to explode. No, I like (perhaps like isn't really strong enough of a word to describe my feelings) astronomy most of all. Of course, other science is interesting to me, if not in fact fascinating, but learning about the stars, planets, nebulae, and all the other "things" in outer space just totally astound me above and beyond anything else in this universe.

Okay, so now everyone knows how much of a "nerd" or "geek" I am. To be perfectly honest, I don't care any more what people think of me, unlike how I felt in my younger years. Why is it that when we get older, most of us get to the point that we don't care what others think of us as much as we once did? Wouldn't high school have been a lot more enjoyable if we didn't worry so much about what others thought? Those are questions that perhaps I will address in another blog, but for now, let's stick on this subject.

First of all, I must admit that my math skills are pretty damn good, even if I do say so myself, however I am no where near as good as a real astronomer or physicist. In fact, I don't even think that I'm even in the same building as the real scientists are, or for that matter even in the same state. Nevertheless, I love talking about astronomy, watching all the science shows on TV, and of course, sci-fi shows equally as well. One of my biggest regrets is that I didn't do better in school when I was young so that I could grow up and do what I now know makes my heart skip beats. What really bothers me about it more than anything else is that I didn't have someone to point out all the possibilities there really are for us humans to do. And on top of all that, there is the fact that when I was growing up we didn't have all the TV channels we now have that allows us to see what really is available for us to do when we grow up, if we so choose.

One may be thinking that I am blaming my shortfalls on this or that or whatnot, but I am not doing that at all. I am merely pointing out where I see my mistakes were and how much luckier children are in today's times. It doesn't matter if children want to be scientist (in whichever field), chefs, lawyers, detectives, or whatever. My point is that with the way TV has brought in all the different kinds of professions into our homes, it has opened up an even greater world to our children to choose from in deciding on which profession they want to do when they grow up. That is, of course, if our wonderful children get off the computer or game console long enough to pay attention to what the "real" world offers them.

With that said though, I saw on a news site the other day that children who spend a great deal of time interacting with Internets (doesn't President Bush think we have more than one Internet? I know he has said Internet with an "s" on it.) and computer games have a higher dexterity and hand-eye coordination, which make them prime candidates for surgeons and the likes. In this article it was said that with how surgeons are using robotics to perform surgery, the people that have exercised their brains with video games have up to a 50% better chance to be mistake free than a person that has not played video games. Now that is something for one to put in their pipe and smoke. Who would've thought that video games would one day save someone’s' life?

At any rate, this blog is a sample of what I will be writing about from time to time. This one is about my greatest love that I never was able to marry, so to speak. Other blogs will, I'm sure, be about other things, but not get too far off this subject (then again, who knows how true that is?). For example, I may next write about schools. Or I may write about how politics have affected our schools. I may even write about politics or something else entirely different. What I can promise anyone that reads my blogs are that whatever I do write about it will, or it's my hope, get people thinking. Isn't that the purpose of any article in the first place?

Well, even though it has been fun, albeit short, I need to get off here and do a few other things. I truly hope that anyone that reads this will find it was least a little entertaining, if nothing else. Perhaps this gave a small glimpse of who and what kind of person I am. On that I would like to think of myself as a kind, generous, warm and caring person with a "warped" sense of humor (at times anyway) and passionate about many different subjects. My goal here is that anyone that comes to find my blog will walk away with a little better understanding of not just who and what kind of person I am, but more importantly learn something from what I write about (sometimes anyhow), even perhaps get a laugh or two out it. Now that is my ultimate and evil plot...LOL!

Until next time, be cool and take care.
D.H.O.


No comments:

My Blog Archive...